Going back to school creates a number of emotions, anywhere from excitement to dread. Although I'm sad summer is ending, I'm looking forward to a great year filled with fun and new experiences. But the major plus about going back to school?! Shopping! Let's be real, I love any excuse to shop. Here is my list of items that are essential for rocking the school look (it's a little lengthy but very educational! :) So read on).
1. Pants You definitely need to buy at least one staple pair of pants whether it's denim, white, or black. Make sure it can be worn with almost any type of shirt. The best plan of attack is to buy three pairs of pants: one staple (as listed above), one solid-colored (coral, aqua, mint green, ect.), and one fun print (floral, snake skin, plaid, ect.). This plan gives you variety, excitement, and usefulness for school. For help finding the perfect pair of jeans (or any pair of pants) click here JoJoWerk: Jean Perfection!
2. Jacket There are so many different kinds of jackets, but find the one that's most logical to you. It's ideal to have a jean and leather jacket. But if you don't like leather jackets, buy something you would actually wear! Whether it's a tailored blazer or relaxed trench coat, express your personality through your jacket.
3. Sweaters Sweaters are a must! Not only are they fashionable and cute, they are extremely comfy and don't cling to your body. They're also very versatile allowing you to wear them with shorts, pants, skirts, or maxis. Personally, I'm a huge fan of oversized sweaters and half sleeved sweaters that I can throw over dresses or tank tops.
4. Scarf Invest in buying a few scarves because they add color and style to complete any outfit (with very little effort!) Buy a black or white scarf to match with everything and another fun printed one to add some spunk to your wardrobe.
5. Skirts Skirts are the perfect medicine when you just want to be casual and comfy. Skirts allow you to feel free and you don't have to deal with those tight fitted pants. Get one or two of each: skirts that hit the knee or higher and skirts that are below the knee (like maxis).
6. Shoes Buy a pair of flip-flops or sandals, a pair of white Vans/Converse/ect., and a pair of boots (any type.) If you already have one of these, like white Vans, go for something fun with color!
7. Dress Personally, I love wearing dresses. Some of you may be able to wear your summer dresses but others might have to buy special dresses just to fit a dreaded school dress code. Only buy one dress if you're the latter. If you're buying something just for school, make sure it's affordable.
8. Backpack Many people forget this, but backpacks are a great accessory! You also wear it everyday at school, so get one that is cute and fun or chic and stylish.
9. Shirts The hardest part, shirts. Everyone needs and already has TONS of shirts. But answer this truthfully: how many of them do you actually wear? I do this all the time (so probably many of you do too): if I'm buying a jacket, I take the time to try it on and make sure I'm making the best purchase possible. But if I find a shirt I sort of like, I'll immediately buy it. Let's all make a promise together to no longer do this! We need to make sure we absolutely are in love with the prospective shirt before buying it or else it will end up sitting in your drawers for the next five years.
- All schools have varying dress codes, so change what I say to make it work for you!
- Before going back to school shopping, go through your clothes to see what you have and don't have. (and throw out things you don't wear anymore)
- If you are not absolutely obsessed with the item in the dressing room, do NOT buy it. Everyone always loves the clothing the best in the dressing room.