Tuesday, August 14, 2012

DIY Lace Shorts

I am an absolute fanatic about lace! Anything lace- shirts, shorts, or dresses, I love it. Lace makes everything more feminine and it can make an item look sweet or sultry, depending on the look. High waisted shorts are obviously the trend of the summer, but recently high waisted shorts with lace have been spotted in many stores. The downside you ask?! They can be so expensive ranging from $40-$90! Honestly the shorts with lace looked quite simple to make so I figured I'd give it a shot. Also making something yourself is so much more rewarding! Below is my first try, but I love the way they turned out and I hope you do too! And special thanks to my amazing grandma who lent me her sewing machine and helped with the sewing process. :) 

Tools Needed:
  • Pair of jeans
  • Lace (bought mine from Michael's)
  • Scissors 
  • Marker/Pen/Sharpie
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine or a sewing needle 

Here are the few easy steps I took: 

1. Find an old pair of jeans or go to a thrift shop to find a pair of high waisted jeans (they don't have to be high waisted). I bought these for $6.59 at Goodwill! (way cheaper than buying already made shorts). 

2. Put on the shorts and mark where you want to cut them. (Easier tip: find a pair of shorts that you love the length of and place them on top. Then trace onto the jeans where the shorts end.)

3. Next: cut, cut, cut! Take out those scissors and cut away! Cut right above the marker lines so the sharpie doesn't show. Important: make sure the back of your shorts are a little bit longer than front because of your booty!

4. Pin the lace around the edge of your shorts, but make sure you have enough material to catch by overlapping the two materials. The lace should be attached from the inside of the jeans.

5. Sew along where the pins are with a sewing machine or by hand. Either works but a sewing machine is much faster.

6. Ending touch: I did a zig-zag stitch along the bottom of the shorts so the extra fibers don't keep pulling out.


Final product: perfect lace shorts for any summer day!

~Check in tomorrow to see where I wore my lace shorts to and what I paired it with~

4 comments:

  1. i love the DIY! i'll send you a picture of the one i did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can not wait to see them on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I totally just saw a pair of laced shorts for $100 at the mall.. you're so right about making them yourself!

    ReplyDelete